Review: The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo


"Bad fates do not always follow those who deserve them."

I'm beginning to think Leigh Bardugo can do no wrong.
I admit to having had my doubts about this collection of stories before I purchased it - so often writers feel the need to write prequels that don't add anything to the experience of the original story. This, however, was not the case (which I should have known because Bardugo is perfection).
From the very first page of Amaya and the Thorn Wood, I was HOOKED.
Queen Bardugo manages an incredible feat - she combines familiarity with mystery, unique instances become automatically relatable. You think you might know these fairy tales because there are some familiar moments (a little Hansel of Gretel here, a dash of mermaids and Ursula there), but Bardugo manages to turn all of your expectations upside down and leave you even more enchanted with the very original tales she has woven.

"But hope rises like water trapped by a dam, higher and higher, in increments that mean nothing until you face the flood."

I don't feel the need to rate these stories individually because they were all five-star reads, period. Each story left me gasping because of the unexpected twist or crying because of the cruelty so often displayed towards loved ones. Though I admit that The Water That Sang Fire may hold a special place in my heart because of a very handsome, very familiar boy we meet. And some brand-new information I swear no one saw coming! I need answers!

I almost feel like Sara Kipin deserves her own review for the magnificent illustrations that bring Bardugo's words to life. The illustrations build up from page to page, growing as we learn more about the story itself, culminating in what can only be described as museum-worthy pieces of art. These breathtaking illustrations create an atmosphere so authentic you feel like you're in the midst of the tales yourself.

Whether you've been a fan of Leigh Bardugo's work since the beginning of the Grisha trilogy, came to love her writing in Six of Crows, or never heard of her (which is not acceptable), this assortment of hauntingly beautiful and dark tales will draw you in and captivate you till the very last page.

Rating: 5 of 5 ⭐

Comments

Popular Posts